Sunday, November 23, 2008

Of the 'I love you's

In my juvenile days, I used to think the first utterance of those 3 magical words signalled the end of the romance. For surely, one party (me) might not quite feel the same intensity and would take off in the opposite direction before one was shot the expectant look of reciprocation.

On rare occasions when I do indulge the other party, it hardly meant more than just an automated response. Some years later, I felt that frequent use seemed to cheapen the phrase and made the one who said it looked clingy. For a long time, declarations of 'I love you' brought disastrous consequences.

Well, back then I didn't have that someone I feel right to say those little words to. Now that I am all grown up, Mr. P and I go through the phrase approximately 3,239,390 times a day - verbally, via emails and texts.

Mr. P has a bad crash during wakeboarding.
Miss J: I still love you baby

Miss J has a bad face plant
Mr. P: I love you even if your nose is crooked

Miss J is bored at work and calls Mr. P
Miss J: (singing) I just called to say I love you


Initially our proclamations were rather gagged worthy (since we say it every where). Eventually everyone got used to them; our wakeboarding crew has even started saying it to one another all the time now. Do I think our actions belittle the feelings associated with those words? No.

I have come to realised when you are in a loving, committed relationship, letting each other know verbally how much the other person means to you is as important as physically expressing your affections through actions. They are not mutually exclusive and so Mr. P and I drops it like it's hot all the time ;p

What I am proposing goes against the dating norm; those rules and mind games - no sex till 3rd date / don't call till the 3rd day / don't sound too eager, etc. Life is too short to be wasted on ambiguity. May as well get the hard part (letting the other party know how you feel and learning if the other party feels the same, if he/she doesn't move on!) over with and spend what little time you have living.

Go on then, stop playing games. If you love somebody, tell them; proclaim it to the world and be proud.

P.S. Even my mommy says 'I love you' every time I call home. If an old dog can learn a new trick, what are you waiting for?

No comments: